Since I’m in the throws of NaNoWriMo, I’m stealing this post from another of my blogs, where I made this post a couple of weeks ago. It still holds true! Meanwhile, I’d love to hear about what you like about your job.
1. I enjoy my co-workers a lot! It’s a group of smart, funny, interesting people across the university library system, and I enjoy interacting with them.
2. I get to work with books. Every day.
3. The building I work in is neat. It’s a renovated tobacco warehouse on a college campus, and the parking is great! How many college campus buildings can you say THAT about?!
4. I have a great supervisor. She’s a good role model and mentor, and I’ve learned a lot from her.
5. It has a tuition reimbursement program that I’m hoping to take advantage of, if I get into library science grad school next fall. Yay!
6. Both of my nieces, for this year, attend college where I work. It’s a lot of fun seeing them around campus! The older one graduates this coming May, and the younger one is a freshman. Auntie Heaven.
7. I graduated from the college where I work, and I’m getting a kick out of being back on campus. There’s a lot of camaraderie over working there, by and large, partly because it’s the largest employer in the county.
8. Cultural benefits abound. I’ve gotten to attend several concerts, sports events, and speakers on campus that I probably wouldn’t have taken advantage of otherwise. Among the more famous: Duke Men’s Basketball games, Karl Rove. the Rolling Stones, and Peter Gomes.
9. I get to work with college students. Every semester, our unit has at least a couple of student assistants, and it’s fun and energizing to work with them. Since January, I’ve also had the delight to work with some local library science students, and they’ve been an inspiration to me, more than they know.
10. There are lots of opportunities for professional development there at no cost. Between on-campus and off-campus options, there are a good many things to do to learn more about librarianship and various related tasks. For instance, later this month I’m taking Intro to HTML, Photoshop for Digital Photographers, and Making Better PowerPoint Presentations, three afternoon classes available for free to students, faculty, and staff on campus.